My personal powerlifting / fitness journey
My personal powerlifting
Powerlifting / bodybuilding / weight training (I'm a hybrid who uses powerlifting for strength and lets the physique follow by calibrating diet). I've trained 15+ years, and have a wealth of training experience and knowledge. In 2013 and 2014 I competed in powerlifting, and in 2014 I came 3rd in the BPU UK nationals (90kg class).
Uncommonly, I have combined this "hobby" (or, lifestyle, should I say - it is a serious sacrifice) with both a 7-year business startup tenure and also a party lifestyle, including a five-month stint in Ibiza, including copious amounts of alcohol.
My method is simple:
- Stick to compound movements, namely 1) Squat, 2) Bench press, 3) Deadlift, 4) Overhead press, 5) Chin up, 6) Row.
- Concentrate on building strength, and the muscle will follow.
- Work up to a heavy 5, 3, or sometimes 1. Then perform 2 back off sets (with about 10 reps each, progressively lowering the weight)
- Train each lift once per week (Split into 2, 3 or 4 days)
- Add isolation for fun at the end of a workout only.
- Avoid alcohol as much as possible
- Eat about 200g protein per day
I'm never going to be a record breaker, but I've managed to stay in pretty good shape using these methods.