My experience with developing anaemia through training, both lifting and cardio
2021 was the 3rd time I have become anaemic through iron loss leading to deficiency in red blood cells. I never want to go through this again. If this helps one person, I'll be happy with that.
It is torture - sure, you could do a 9 to 5 office job with low iron, ferritin and screwed up RBCs, but training on top? No chance. So, I'm documenting here for myself what not to do in the future.
- Hypothyroidism / hypothyroid episodes may deplete iron
- Celiac disease
- Foot striking
- Blood in stools - particularly from powerlifting squats/deads
- Iron supplementation OTC — good to maintain levels, takes months to replenish
- Iron supplementation prescription (Ferrous fumarate) - I have restored iron quickly by megadosing this but do not recommend it
- Iron infusion — intravenous. Harley street — if your time is valuable.
- Keep thyroid levels (FT3) within range. Or adjust by TSH.